Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

After the storms...

There is nothing in the world like a good 'ole fashioned thunderstorm.  Of course, I just love weather in general.  In college I took a fantastic meteorology class and briefly thought about becoming a meteorologist.  My interests changed (nursing) but my fascination with weather still remained.  I am however, very heartbroken these past few weeks as lives have been lost and changed forever by the tornadoes across the country. The images and stories that we have been hearing and seeing on the news are enough to bring anyone to their knees and pray. 

A few weeks ago Gracie and I went outside and picked these roses from our front yard about 2 hours before the tornadoes came through central NC.  The next morning, after the storms had passed, I came downstairs and this is what I saw;  sunlight shining through my safe home.  It symbolized so very much that morning.  I don't think I can ever remember a time I felt so incredibly thankful to have a roof over our heads.  Because I know of so many in the recent days who have not been so lucky and it makes me want to weep.

I will never forget this particular weekend.  My beautiful sister-in-law gave birth to my nephew, Jay.  A precious bundle of love that Gracie, Darin and I could NOT get enough of.  Throughout all of the wreckage that weekend we were blessed to celebrate a new life.  I just adore him!
By the way, Gracie is very thrilled that she now has  3 boy cousins with names that start with the letter 'J'. 


After all of the, holding, rocking and excitement, we were ready to celebrate Easter.  In preparation for our Easter trip to the beach, Gracie and I spent the evening making Easter cupcakes.  We had a blast, made a HUGE mess and stayed up past her bedtime.

Can you say attention to detail?  So focused...

I just love these sweet little birds nest cupcakes.  I also love the fact that they rest gently upon my Great- Grandmother's china (more about her in the days to come).  I think she would love to know that her great-great grandaughter made those precious bites of yumminess. 

After the flour and sugar settled it was off to the beach for a glorious weekend with family and friends. 
First stop...pool!  Gracie loves the beach, but at this age she seems to be all about the pool, freezing cold water or not.

How on Earth do children swim in freezing cold water, and I can not so much as place a toe in the water before I am chilled to the bone?
Obvioulsy it did not phase Gracie one bit.  She swam, we watched, dinos played and everyone was happy.

Spending a weekend at the coast recharges my batteries like nothing else.  Always has, always will.  You cross over the bridge, leave your worries behind and shut down for a few days. 

An evening swing is a simple, sweet satisfaction that we have really gotten used to.  Thank you to G-daddy (Darin's dad) for this wonderful treat.  Lady Unicorn was the toy du jour and she accompanied Gracie for most of the weekend...her newest BFF.


We also grilled some delicious food (read: cedar plank salmon) and washed it down with a fab glass of wine.  Doesn't everything taste better at the beach?


Gracie put on quite a face for the camera this evening and the light was just right.  Evening light + beach = fantastic opportunity for a mini-photo shoot.

Easter morning was great.  I just love those early morning pics of kiddos on Easter or Christmas when their hair is all frazzled and excitement is in full swing!


We soaked up all the joy and little moments we could.  Made new memories then packed up and headed back to our busy life feeling blessed beyond words.

Spring and Easter, I believe, brings out the best in everything. 

1 comment:

  1. I just love that picture of Gracie on the beach with her blonde hair flowing gently in the wind :) Reminds me of a young Marilyn Monroe :) Simply beautiful.

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete